I'm turning 40 in a week! Birthdays always make me reflective, another year down, what's been done, what's ahead...
I've been thinking a lot recently about this milestone, the big four-OH. Mostly because of the party I'm planning, having loads of fun with that, but also what I've learned now that I'm 40...
So here's a few things I've come to know...
- firstly, and most surprisingly, those pretty silk eye masks to block out the light are not just for princesses & movie stars! I found one in my undies drawer recently & it has given me an extra hour of sleep most mornings these holidays!
- it's taken a long time but I am finally comfortable in my skin! Yep, that's huge! I have come to realise that I don't really care what other people think about how I look anymore. Sure I'd like to change some things (these were hardworking, breastfeeding breasts after all) but this is it, it's what I've been given and really, it's not that bad! I feel pretty good for 40..
- while talking of body's, I have also learned that something happens to your knees when you get to 40, they are just not very flattering..
- when people are unkind, or passively try to put you down, it's not about you, it's all about them & their unhappiness
- the grass is rarely greener, enjoy what you have
- raising children really does get harder, challenges kick up a notch with every passing year! I'd always thought they were just saying that..
- it's always better late than never, always!
- random dancing around the house is necessary & should be done often (even if it means you're caught out by the delivery man..)
- board games are such a valuable way to spend family time
- when a door slammed in anger breaks it is best not to fix it
- I would often just wade or bob around in the waves, but going under the water at the beach has an extraordinary soul cleansing power
- precautionary worming & headlice treatments are a must at the end of every term
- when the cupboards are bare the best dinner for the troops is a banana smoothy with an egg in it & toast, everyone's happy!
- making time to love your man & be loved is not a chore, why did it often seem that way before..
...just a few, imagine what I'll know in another 40 years...